Facades are Almost Complete at 1004-12 N Orkney St!!

1004 n orkney 1 (4)


1004-12 N Orkney St

Facades are Almost Complete

3 of the 5 homes on the Orkney side are already sold!!

For more information or to reserve yours today please contact

Jim Onesti. 215.440.2052 or jonesti@mccannteam.com

Old Philadelphia & Northern Liberties

Check out some of these facinating photos from the late
1700’s, 1800’s and early 1900’s…Amazing!

Jumbo Theater in 1916 Front & Girard looking down from the EL
Girard Ave Market Frankfort line 1913
Liberty Stove Works – 1851 – 4th & Brown
Philadelphia Wheelwright Works – 1751 between Front & 2nd Noble & Green on New Market Street

The History of Northern Liberties

Originally a portion of the Northern Liberties Township, the district first gained limited autonomy from the township by an Act of Assembly on March 9, 1771. The Act provided for the appointment of persons to regulate streets, direction of buildings, etc. By March 30, 1791 a second Act enabled the inhabitants of that portion of the Northern Liberties between Vine Street and Pegg’s Run (Cohoquinoque Creek) and the middle of Fourth Street and the Delaware River to elect three commissioners to lay taxes for the purpose of lighting, watching and establishing pumps within those bounds.

On March 28, 1803, the Legislature passed an act to incorporate that part of the township of the Northern Liberties lying between the west side of Sixth Street and the Delaware River and between Vine Street and Cohocksink Creek, thus creating the District of Northern Liberties. Under the Consolidation law the district ceased to exist in 1854, and become a part of Philadelphia.

Early in its history, the location just outside Philadelphia allowed the area to thrive in manufacturing, as mills, breweries, leather tanneries, paints and chemical works, tool making factories, and iron and stove foundries once lined the neighborhood. It also holds the status as a famous red-light district in the United States. Prior to annexation, the township was created as a less densely populated alternative to nearby Philadelphia. Because of this, it was later known colloquially as “Philadelphia’s first suburb.” However, the Southwark neighborhood claims this distinction as well.

Artisan immigrants from Germany settled in the Northern Liberties in great numbers in the 19th century. In the first decades of the 20th century, the area saw an influx of immigrants from Eastern Europe. Numbers of Slovak and Romanians left the challenges they faced in the waning years of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Slovaks established St. Agnes Slovak Roman Catholic Church at the intersection of Fourth and Brown Street. The Romanians who settled in the area established Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church at the intersection of American and Bodine Streets, where they and their descendants continue to worship.

In 1985, the Northern Liberties Historic District was created, dedicated to preserving the Italianate architectureGreek revival, and Federal style buildings which characterizes the area. The historic district is bounded by Brown, Boone and Galloway, Green and Wallace, and Fifth and Sixth Streets.