19123 Continues to exceed expectations!! Is Northern Liberties the Hottest area of the city?

Northern liberties and surrounding area continues to thrive even during a time of fear and economic uncertainty. 19123 continues to be one of the Hottest area’s in the city. NorthernLibertiesLIFE.com has surveyed numerous Prudential Fox & Roach Realtors and the reoccurring theme regarding why Buyers can’t ignore NLibs as a possible destination has been the Amenities, Attractions and Cool living spaces Northern Liberties has to offer.

According to Trend/MLS, the Realtor sales database, 19123, 3-bedroom homes, sold for an average of $471,000 in January 2012.  February’s sales numbers are shaping up to be as impressive!!

below is a chart displaying 19123 sales statistics:

Click Here For 19123 Sales Stats:

Gorgeous New Construction Home for Sale!

800 N Hancock St # 2
4 Bed/2.5 Bath/2800 sq ft
$475,000
New construction home w/2800 sq ft of luxury space! 1 car parking 3 outdoor spaces including a full size fiberglass roofdeck with 360 degree views of the city, finished basement, 16 x 50 fiberglass roof deck w/city views, marble and stone baths with double vanities, oversized walk-in showers w/glass enclosures and designer fixtures! Custom kitchen features granite island, granite countertops, mosaic backsplash and stainless steel appliances. Also features hardwood floors T/O, tons of storage, rear patio, elegant trim and woodwork package included, great light in every room, very cool fixtures and well though out design!! 10 yr tax abatement applied for! Located near restaurants, shopping, cafes, galleries etc

   

For more information please contact Jim Onesti
215-440-2052 or jonesti@mccannteam.com
Prudential Fox & Roach & The McCann Team

The History of Northern Liberties

Originally a portion of the Northern Liberties Township, the district first gained limited autonomy from the township by an Act of Assembly on March 9, 1771. The Act provided for the appointment of persons to regulate streets, direction of buildings, etc. By March 30, 1791 a second Act enabled the inhabitants of that portion of the Northern Liberties between Vine Street and Pegg’s Run (Cohoquinoque Creek) and the middle of Fourth Street and the Delaware River to elect three commissioners to lay taxes for the purpose of lighting, watching and establishing pumps within those bounds.

On March 28, 1803, the Legislature passed an act to incorporate that part of the township of the Northern Liberties lying between the west side of Sixth Street and the Delaware River and between Vine Street and Cohocksink Creek, thus creating the District of Northern Liberties. Under the Consolidation law the district ceased to exist in 1854, and become a part of Philadelphia.

Early in its history, the location just outside Philadelphia allowed the area to thrive in manufacturing, as mills, breweries, leather tanneries, paints and chemical works, tool making factories, and iron and stove foundries once lined the neighborhood. It also holds the status as a famous red-light district in the United States. Prior to annexation, the township was created as a less densely populated alternative to nearby Philadelphia. Because of this, it was later known colloquially as “Philadelphia’s first suburb.” However, the Southwark neighborhood claims this distinction as well.

Artisan immigrants from Germany settled in the Northern Liberties in great numbers in the 19th century. In the first decades of the 20th century, the area saw an influx of immigrants from Eastern Europe. Numbers of Slovak and Romanians left the challenges they faced in the waning years of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Slovaks established St. Agnes Slovak Roman Catholic Church at the intersection of Fourth and Brown Street. The Romanians who settled in the area established Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church at the intersection of American and Bodine Streets, where they and their descendants continue to worship.

In 1985, the Northern Liberties Historic District was created, dedicated to preserving the Italianate architectureGreek revival, and Federal style buildings which characterizes the area. The historic district is bounded by Brown, Boone and Galloway, Green and Wallace, and Fifth and Sixth Streets.